- 8 actors: 4 boys, 4 girls.
- Instruments: our bodies, a guitar, a ukulele, a harmonica, a piano, a bell kit, a tambourine, some finger cymbals, and a maraca.
- A director who tells us to take all of the above, and just make something happen.
- An innate sense of rhythm and musicality.
- A trust that, no matter what happens, it won’t be wrong.
- An openness to new things, and a sense of freedom and vulnerability.
- A group of people who really believe in the art they’re creating.
The result of all of the above is what you’re hearing on the clip.
It’s called “Beatboxing.” We’re just making sounds. We let it ebb and flow and die off when it should. Sure, there are some messy parts. Because there’s no sheet music and no discussion.
But the moments when it clicks and settles into something? The moments when it soars? Those are awesome.
It was a really special night for all of us, I think. Personally, it was healing and restorative for me, after a really rough day.
I hope you enjoy it. There are 4 files, but Tumblr allows only one audio post per day, so I’ll upload the others tomorrow and over the weekend.
I feel even less talented already. But you should all listen to this.